In the world of IoT platforms, Microsoft has come up as a reputed name and a reliable one. The platform or the application Azure IoT Central has come up lately with several features and specifications to help you transform the IoT data into fruitful insights that can be highly beneficial for your organization.
What is Azure IoT Central and what benefits does it offer?
Azure IoT Central is a fully managed global SaaS (software as a service) solution that makes it easy to connect, monitor, and manage your IoT resources at scale.
Azure IoT Central is:
- Quick and easy: Create a complete solution quickly without any cloud development knowledge.
- Scalable and secure: Don’t worry about the infrastructure; Connect your devices at any scale and get maximum security.
- Enterprise: Full integration into your existing business systems and processes.
Azure IoT Central Features:
New App Creation
The first task is to create a new application to start using Azure IoT Central. After that, you can select from many templates available in different industries such as health, retail, and others. Otherwise, you can also create your application. The platform also comes along with a tutorial that will help you understand the entire process.
Once the application is created, it is time to connect the devices to the application. For this, the devices that are getting connected have unique device templates. The device templates speak a lot about the devices, such as:
- What are the capabilities of the devices?
- What are the cloud properties that can be run on the devices?
- What are the properties or customization options available in the application for the device?
The users can choose different ways, such as through Visual Coder and others, to create their device templates.
Different enterprises run on different rules and different values. Hence, one of the eminent parts is to get UI customisation done. There are different ways through which the customization of the UI of the application can be done. Here are some of the customization options that you can go for.
- Customizing the dashboard of the application.
- Customizing the way how analysis is done and presented.
- The offering of different properties, depending upon the requirements of the users.
Connecting to different devices is not the only task of the IoT Central. Another eminent task of the platform is device management. It manages all the devices that are successfully connected to the application. There are several ways how the application responsible manages the devices.
- The application will manage and track all the devices that are connected to it.
- It will offer solutions or troubleshooting to all such devices connected to it.
- It also manages the provision of the new devices on the platform.
For the management of the devices, there are certain rules created by the user. These rules can be enabled at a point in time and similarly can be disabled as per the requirements.
To manage the devices, just having these rules is not enough. Hence, the users must follow certain elements.
Having a dashboard enables you to manage the devices in a single place and helps in tracking them properly. Users can either select a readymade template from the existing options or create a new dashboard for the purpose. In addition, you can either work on the dashboard in a private mode by restricting the dashboard just to yourself or share it with other users to work together over it.
As mentioned earlier, there must rule to manage the devices correctly. Then, users configure all actions, which are updated to the other users in the form of notifications. This is important because regular updates are required for the application to keep it working smoothly.
Jobs is all about updates. The users can offer several updates to the application using this feature.
Integration with Other Tasks:
The applications usually help by making use of the IoT data in bringing up insights that can be helpful for the users to make the right decisions. When Azure is integrated into the system, the application uses different elements such as REST API, rules, and others.
The application collects data from connected devices. Hence, proper configuration of the devices must be done into the application. Also, you can customise the insights according to your needs so that you can benefit from them in the best possible way.
Before you settle down for a particular application or platform, it is extremely important that you know about the basic things such as the pricing. Microsoft understands that you will not wish to invest in your hard-earned money without researching well. Hence, they offer a free trial of 7 days for all the application users.
After you are satisfied with the free trial, where you will get five free devices for seven days, you can finally decide whether you wish to buy the platform or not. If you have decided that you will invest in the platform, you can buy the services per device.
When you are making use of this platform, you should also know about the four roles of the platform.
● Solution Builder creates applications and configures rules
● The manager manages all the devices
● The administrator handles all the administrative activities
● Device Developer codes for the devices
Using IoT Central from Microsoft Azure is convenient, and the platform is loaded with features. Try out the free version to understand it deeply and then carry on with it and move ahead to the next steps of connecting to your clients’ devices over the platform.